Sunday 24 September 2017

RODIN at the MET, NY

NY's Met has one of the world's best RODIN collections, but for a good long while they have been located in a thro-way which links one main part of the Met with another. Used every day by hoards, it did not encourage slow looking! 
Now, to celebrate the centenary of his death, a new and thoughtful permanent display changes the dynamtic. Same place but new lighting, new colour, new hang, new juxtapositions with paintings by his friends Monet, Puvis de Chevannes, Renoir, Bastien-Lepage, etc etc etc make for a fitting sculpture gallery - and home for one of the most famous ever works of art The THINKER.  
U can buy a copy of it from Walmart for $60 and from the Met store for $225!! 
Photo of Rodin by Steichen
The one at the Met, modeled in 1880, cast in bronze in 1910, was comissioned by the Met. It epitomise Rodin's "ardent, enduring exploration of the human figure as he strove to imitate 'not only form, but life" explains curator Denise Allen. Even his toes breathe energy, coiled in tension yet ready to dream or leap.
The first Rodin show at the Met was in 1912 when Rodin was 72. 
It was also the first ever show there of a living artist - & R was so pleased he donated some work from his studio. That was the start of a large collection of around 100 marbles, bronzes, plasters, terracottas, drawings and prints of which half are on show here
             This photo from an excellent Met BLOG shows the space before - below u see it now.


The Rodin gallery, now christened  B. Gerald Cantor Sculpture Gallery, in honor of their major 1980s gift, is divided into 2 - Heaven & Hell.
Hell comes first with its almost black, but sometimes greeny-black, big bold bronzes. 
 The half way point is marked by the beautiful classic Age of Bronze 1876
                                     here being removed, then re-installed to great effect.

Then heaven - with white marble lovers: Cupid & Psyche, Pygmalion & Galatea, sensuous Orpheus & Eurydice 1887, the erotic lovemaking of Eternal Spring.
140 years ago what did the pubic make of it all ?? I know my grandmother had sepia reproductions of these sculptures in her bedroom in the 1920s according to my mother, who herself went on to be a sculptor of the nude figure. The pix were still there when I was a child.
There is no defined path thro the show - explore it any way u want. Here above is Pygmalion & Galatea 1889. Marble. 
The walls are hung with related paintings. Here the Seine at Vetheuil 1880, by Monet - his friend. 
while right next door are the Monet and Impressionist rooms. How wonderful to get them to oneself!



See photos of a gallery's transformation for Rodin at The Met in this Now at The Met blog post.

          The curators responsible for this transformation are seen here.  Congratulations to all.

for more information see Rodin at The Met,
Here are lots of photos for your delight 


and - The extraordinary range of The Met's holdings of Rodin's work is highlighted in an adjacent gallery (gallery 809) with a selection of drawings, prints, letters, and illustrated books, as well as photographs of the master sculptor and his art. This focused presentation introduces visitors to the evolution of Rodin's draftsmanship and demonstrates the essential role of drawing in his practice. It also addresses Rodin's engagement with photographers, especially Edward Steichen (1879–1973), who served as a key intermediary in bringing Rodin's drawings to New York.
see more  pix of the Met and also Rodin being set up 















9 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to share this with you that can read / see this now. When I started trading binary and forex a few months ago, I really didn't have the necessary tools to trade and I lost a lot until I met Pablo Martinez who taught me all about market psychology as he managed my account for me. Today I am grateful to him for his great offer and help because it really changed my financial situation with an investment capital of $1500 and now I'm earning around $35,500 - $30,000 profits per week. Here is his WhatsApp no: +44 7520 636249 or his email address: pm7234029@gmail.com
    Https://www.facebook.com/PM-Fast-Trade-104912912155335/

    ReplyDelete
  2. CYBER GENIE INTERCONTINENTAL is a great company and we need more genuine hackers and software programmers like them in this world, they were able to unlock an old crypto wallet account that I thought I couldn't ever access. They were very helpful and extremely patient with me, even after they were able to access it, they never took a dime from thousands of euros Bitcoin in it. I highly recommend them to everyone.
    Cybergenie@cyberservices.com

    ReplyDelete

  3. Invest with 200EUR and get a returns of 5,000EUR within seven business working days.

    Why wasting your precious time online looking for a loan? When there is an opportunity for you to invest with 200EUR and get a returns of 5,000EUR within seven business working days. Contact us now for more information if interested on how you can earn big with just little amount. This is all about investing into Crude Oil and Gas Business.

    Email: aileenbeacker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in a very bad situation financially after losing all my savings to a cryptocurrency investment scam, I was swindled off all my entire savings and went bankrupt after borrowing from everyone around me. I thought I was going to lose my life until I saw a pop-up on the internet about WARDRIVERS CYBER, a cryptocurrency recovery company that has been helping many others to recover their funds. I hurriedly contacted them and gave them all the information about the scam that took my entire savings, it only took WARDRIVERS Cyber 48 hours to recover my funds, and was able to track down these scammers. I’m truly grateful for their efforts and swift response in helping me recover my money. I’m recommending their service to everyone out there, if you wish to contact WARDRIVERS, you can reach them via E-mail: WARDRIVERSCYBERSERVICE(@)TECHIE.COM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always thought it would be impossible to recover stolen cryptocurrency funds until I came across SpyWall recovery team, this cryptocurrency recovery team was able to successfully recover my stolen Bitcoin and Ethereum funds.
    I was one of the many victims of a crypto scam and I lost my entire family savings trying to double it.
    It was a very difficult time for me and my family, I was depressed and gave up hope of ever getting my money back. A few weeks ago, I came across a post while searching for clues on Google on how to recover my cryptocurrency, I saw a recommendation about SpyWall and how they were able to effectively recover cryptocurrency funds for many scam victims. I didn’t hesitate to contact them and provide them with all the information, SpyWall was able to recover my funds within two days. I’m truly grateful for their service and I promised them I would recommend them to others like me.
    You can easily reach them via
    E-Mail: SPYWALL@TECHIE . COM

    SpyWall is no doubt the best when it comes to recovering cryptocurrency funds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Formerly I presumed I would never be able to retrieve the money I had lost to fraudsters. I made an investment with a bitcoin investing website in the second quarter of 2023 just to discover that it was a scam. I got in touch with a few hackers in an effort to get my money back, but they all turned out to be swindlers who took my hard-earned cash. I was in a predicament, distraught, and certain that I had descended to my lowest point. All that changed when I came across a review of Coder Cyber Services online. An alternative could not cut to the quick because I was eager to recover all of the money I had spent on that website,that was the end of my troubles. I made the decision to try my luck once more, to which I got in touch with Coder Cyber Services and everything changed. The firm stepped in and quickly aided in the recovery of all of my money. I can attest to their high level of commitment and that they got the best recovery staff. You can also contact the firm by using:
    email:Codercyberservices@execs.com
    whatsapp: +1 (403) (407) 4307

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strong security measures must be put in place to prevent theft of your bitcoin. This includes setting up two-factor authentication, using complicated and one-of-a-kind passwords, employing hardware wallets or cold storage solutions, upgrading software and security patches on a regular basis, and being wary of phishing efforts and dubious connections. It's also critical to keep up with the most recent security procedures and educate yourself on potential dangers. A team of expert hackers from Coder Cyber Services has dedicated themselves to educating those of us deeply engaged in the cryptocurrency space so that we can protect ourselves against bitcoin theft. Make sure to contact Coder Cyber Services; they are akin to a school that will provide you with all the necessary knowledge. Email: codercyberservices@tech-center.com.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m very happy to recommend the services of Spyweb Cyber Security Services for helping me recover the cryptocurrency funds that were locked in my investment account. I had invested the amount of $230,000 into a trading account and I was denied the chance to withdraw my funds when my account was locked. They kept requesting more fees until I realized this is a scam. I was introduced to Spyweb Cyber Security by my colleague at work who told me of their experience and professional services in helping cryptocurrency scam victims recover their stolen crypto funds. I’m truly grateful for their help and I highly recommend Spyweb Cyber Security Services to everyone out there who needs to recover their cryptocurrency funds.

    Spyweb Cyber Contact Information:

    E-mail: Spyweb@cyberdude . com

    Whats App: +1 (323) 904 ‑ 8824

    ReplyDelete
  9. When my life was falling apart cause of my bad credit i couldn't get a loan and i was broke i needed money to start up my own business just as i was about to give up a close friend of who just worked with Premiumhackservices AT gmail DOT com in catching his cheating wife recommended them to me and they fixed my credit score and also helped get the loan i needed to start up my business, i just bought a new car all thanks to them, you can also decide to contact them via Whatsapp +14106350697 and i'm planning on buying a new house soon. All i can say is Thank you.

    ReplyDelete