Sunday 4 September 2016

JACKIE DONACHIE at Glasgow's GoMA

JACKIE DONACHIE at Glasgow's GoMA with her exhibition:

DEEP IN THE HEART OF YOUR BRAIN. 

Bruce Mclean would approve of JACKIE DONACHIE's use of his famous 1971 performance piece Pose Work for Plinths. 

Whereas Mclean's poses were assertive & ironic, Donachie compares & contrasts her own easy gestures & agile movements with those of her disabled sister who finds it all more of a challenge.  
Never has this concept been more effectively adapted or interpreted. 
Donachie's sister suffers from an inherited neurological genetic condition, Myotonic Dystrophy. We don't see them together, just their legs as they walk down a long hospital corridor. 
 But we hear about the problems of the disease from several patients of different ages, all sisters, one filmed on one screen, explaining about the problems of their condition, while their silent sibling sits immobile, occasionally blinking, on the other screen. 
 This very moving short 2 screen video, titled Hazel, from 2016 is at the heart of her exhibition at Glasgow's GOMA. 

Donachie has long addressed difficult social topics. This time her research was near at home, but it hasn't prevented her from casting an academic eye on the subject. 
A graduate of the Glasgow School of Art’s influential Environmental Art department which encouraged artists to work in a variety of public contexts outside the gallery space, she sets out to make a difference. 
 
She is one of a gifted group of GSA graduates who worked on the committee of Transmission Gallery, from the period around 1987-95 including Douglas Gordon, Nathan Coley, Richard Wright, Martin Boyce, Simon Starling, Roddy Buchanan etc ..... 
 All guys, with the exception of Donachie & Christine Borland, and all have made a name for themselves world wide. The pix above is from 1997 in Berlin. 

Donachie leapt from GSA to the US on a Fulbright fellowship, gaining her MFA in New York. 

Since then she has accomplished a great deal via her focus on the connection between art & science, (a great project was Tomorrow Belongs to Me, brilliantly described by Sam Stead) medicine, urban issues, car crowded towns, encouraging the use of bikes, and much more. 
GoMA's large 4th floor also contains some superb drawings (who knew Glasgow's lampposts could be so interesting!) 
plus piles of large scale sheet metal and a block or box of black gridded metal which  reference the ramps at ferries, and 2 years ago, but painted bright green, was placed as installations around Scotland including near the ferry port at Wemyss Bay. 
As I remember her, Donachie was tall, pretty, leggy, lanky even, determined, engaging, with a way way with words.



The whole GoMA installation is accompanied by bright orange structural bars - expensive to install here I am sure. Quite what to make of it all I am not sure. 

This very minimal installation does make viewers focus on the video, it's true, but the vast, almost empty space, seems to me a pity, a waste.
A public gallery situated right in the centre of Glasgow, GoMA provides a special opportunity to encourage & engage with the general public - who find it very difficult to get to grips with contemporary art. 

Donachie has a gift for words & text, and a terrific affinity for pop music. I rather wish she had used this chance to treat us to a richer experience.
However she has made an important contribution to a little known medical complaint, which will be discussed in a symposium in November. A great personal achievement to be proud of.  

5 comments:

  1. Hello everyone, The Cryptocurrency world is very volatile and a lot of individuals have lost some crypto coins and crypto assets to online scams . I was also a victim of fake telegram personnels from Uniswap group. My wallet address security and 12 phrases got compromised and I lost all my crypto coins (Filecoin, Eth, Btc, and EthereumMax) to the tune of $164.000 . This left me so devastated and left me depressed at my lowest point because my family could’ve been homeless if I didn’t recover my crypto coins successfully which was most of my savings and financial assets. I laid my complaint in the group and a real group admin referred me to Adrian Lamo Wizard Inc. This cryptocurrency recovery agency saved my life by helping me recover all my losses in just six hours. I provided necessary requirements and relative information to complete the successful recovery of my crypto coins. I was filled with joy once I got my coins back .
    Adrian Lamo Wizard- for help contact him Email: adrianlamowizard22@gmail.com whatsapp +31617016197 Telegramm: +31617016197

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always recommend Mr. James and his team anytime, anywhere when it comes to Cryptocurrency recovery of any type, He saved me from a horrible mistake, I was manipulated in to investing 23.6 BTC on a fraudulent Investment company little did I know that I was being fooled and scammed online even after I made some reports to my banks and the cops but they could not help out, only then I got a connection with jamesmckaywizard, he came to my aid he helped me to recover all my money back from the Scam company and he gave me maximum online security that blocked all scammers and unverified companies from contacting me again. Why not Contact Mr. James/his team and explain your situation to him Via Email: jamesmckaywizard@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +918798906778…

    ReplyDelete
  3. BITCOIN AND CRYPTO CURRENCIES, FOR LOST ACCOUNTS AND ACCESS, HERE IS AN ONLINE HACK SERVICE EXPERT. CONTACT: ablerecoveryservices @ gmail. com . Whatapp/Telegram: +44 20 3807 1004. BEST PLUG FOR YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There has been a lot of scamming online when it comes to Bitcoin investment in an online platform. I was a victim of an online crypto investment where I had a investment worth $79,000 btc in total. I couldn’t allow all my effort to waste when I discovered I was being scammed. For weeks I was depressed and was thinking of what I should not. But thanks to Cyber Asset Recovery. Their team of experts are pro at what they do. They helped me recovery my stolen bitcoin from the scam company and funds was refunded back within a few days of working with them. Here is there contact, email them on. Cyberassetrecovery@protonmail.com Or Telegram: @CyberAssetRecovery & +1 501 725 1653

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a victim of legacyfxglobalmarkets scam which all started with just a deposit of £400. The next deposit I was forced to pay quickly turned to £1,500 and every time I try to cash out they ask me for more to cover for taxes and other complicated government fees. My profits had accumulated to £117,000 as it would show on my mobile application but I could not access it. By the time I came to my senses that the company is illegitimate, l had already lost a total of £50,000. I researched about the company to confirm my fears and I came across a page where other people who had lost money to them shared their stories. Among the comments was from an elderly guy who shared how he got his profits back through the help of Mr. James a genius recovery/hacker. I decided to try my luck and presented my case to him, which they were already familiar with and so I got back everything within 24 hours. I’m writing to confirm that Mr. James is absolutely functional. If by any means you're also a victim of online scam kindly send a message across to them via: jamesmckaywizard@gmail.com or via WhatsApp // +31647340446.. And chat with them DIRECTLY..

    ReplyDelete